A COMMUNITY OF PERSPECTIVES
To support and include more community-based organizations, vendors, and speakers in the operation of the Association.
NCACPA collaborates with The Diversity Movement and the Racial Equity institute, DEI consultants and speakers to implement this goal association-wide.
“The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members.”
-Coretta Scott King
Developing bonds that bring people together
NCACPA supports and participates in the cultivation of relationships with diverse, equitable, and inclusive people and businesses.
Are you a part of a business that has partnered with us and want to be featured here?
All are welcome! Click the button below and submit the form to be added.
NCACPA contributes to a colorful community
Our fingerprints may be different, but we have common goals.
Here are examples of how NCACPA supports its community:
- NCACPA improved financial literacy by leading the effort in 2019 to pass a law requiring high school students to complete the Economics and Personal Finance (EPF) course.
- NCACPA successfully lobbied the General Assembly in 2021 to appropriate more than $1 million to fund professional development for EPF instructors.
- In 2022, NCACPA introduced and passed legislation to provide equitable tax treatment for minority-owned and historically underutilized small businesses that received pandemic relief through the RETOOLNC grant program.
- We have been working for some time with the North Carolina Council on Economic Education (NCCEE) to promote financial literacy in public high school classrooms across the state.
- NCACPA members continue to volunteer as guest lecturers and panelists for financial literacy classes, as judges for academic competitions focused on economics and personal finance, and as members of regional advisory boards for NCCEE.
Give back on days and in ways that work for you! NCACPA has many avenues for you to serve and engage with your community, profession, and the association.
From social and networking events to mentoring to finding a volunteer for your organization, our newly launched Experience NCACPA section of the website offers a path for members and nonmembers to get and stay engaged!
DEI Listening Sessions
NCACPA partnered with The Diversity Movement to help us continue our DEI journey. Building on the DEI member survey shared toward the end of 2021, the Association scheduled 1-hr listening sessions with 3 groups of 20 members to gain qualitative insights and help us understand how we can create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive association.
At NCACPA, we want to support our whole community and give other accounting professionals a chance to do the same! That’s why we’ve recently decided to partner with one local nonprofit in a “Community Spotlight” at each of our conferences. NCACPA staff and attendees will learn about the mission of the nonprofit and have an opportunity to give back to their community through that business.
“We must create more opportunities for us all to leverage our differences, learn, grow, and contribute.”
– Shawana Hudson Spann, CPA, MSA
NCACPA Past Chair, DEI Resource Group member