By: Phillip Massey
Blog Series: Moving to the Next Level—Preparing for Life After QuickBooks (Post 3 of 5)
The workarounds you’ve developed have probably increased gradually, so it may come as a shock how many of these regular processes are the result of your system not being able to do the things you need. They’ve become ingrained in your day-to-day work and invisible out in the open. These workarounds are costing you money even if you aren’t cutting a check to get them done. And, these hidden costs are really quite expensive when you start adding them up.
The symptoms are as follows:
- Increasing over-reliance on paper-based, manual processes
- Solution silos: lack of integration between accounting and other mission-critical operations software
- Poor reporting due to inadequate data—which means poor insight into the business
- Increased manual effort to manage business processes
- A high dependency on Excel
- An inability to get the information you need, how and when you need it
- Reduced staff productivity from manual processes and workarounds for activities such as revenue recognition, billing, reporting and more
- Increased security risks, financial controls, and auditability
- Lack of scalability as you grow (e.g. users, entities, and data)
- If there’s more frustration than insight generated from the accounting system,—it’s time for a new one
For more information on Life After QuickBooks, visit our landing page at www.afterquickbooks.com or visit our corporate page at www.masseyconsulting.net.
Philip D. Massey, CPA is the Founder and President of Raleigh, NC-based Massey Consulting, Inc. Philip has been a CPA for nearly twenty years and worked in the accounting software side of the industry for seventeen of those years. After spending a few years working on tax returns, bookkeeping and audits, he decided his love for computers was greater than his love for traditional accounting. Over the years, Philip has worked on a few accounting packages, including QuickBooks, Sage, Microsoft Dynamics, SAP and Intacct. Currently, Massey Consulting specializes in cloud-based accounting solutions, although they certainly continue to support on-premise solutions as well. Philip currently resides in Youngsville, NC with his wife and daughter.